Common Czech Cuisines
The traditional Czech cuisine consists of roast pork, with sour kraut and dumplings. Some popular foods all have the same sides, like soups, potatoes, and more. While the Czech Republic has recently turned the cuisine over to a healthier menu, one cannot forget what meals make the Czech cuisines memorable.
Popular soups: potato, garlic, and chicken noodle
Popular Main Dishes: Chicken, Pork, Beef, or Fish. Usually roasted, certain meats are served during certain events and certain times of the year. For example, Carp (a fish) is served only at certain times a year.
Popular Appetizers/Side Dishes: Boiled, Roasted, and Mashed Potatoes, Dumplings, Rice, and Bread
Popular Czech Sweets
If its sweet bread, it’s a popular Czechoslovakian dessert. Some common sweet treats of the Czech Republic includes, but are not limited to the following; pancakes, yeast cakes, fruit filled dumplings, sugar dumplings, and more. Strawberry cookies and galache are just two examples of the deliciousness served on occasion. Like in the United States, the Czech Republic enjoys cake as well, such as poppy seed and vanilla. Vanilla crescents, pecan cookies, and so much more are common desserts in Czechoslovakia.
Simple Czech Cuisine Recipes
- Yeast Dumplings
- Ingredients: 1/2 package dry yeast, 1 cubed bread roll, 2 cups warm water, 4 cups instant flour, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoon salt
- Directions: – Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water with sugar
-In a big bowl combine flour, salt, egg and bread roll. After yeast rises, add to mixture and knead for 10 minutes. Form 4 rolls on a sheet with flour. Cover and let rise.
-Boil salted water and gently place in water – maybe one or two at a time. Cover and cook about 20 minutes.
-Test for doneness with toothpick. It should be light and puffy. Remove from water and slice.
2. Pancakes (Palačinky)
- Ingredients: 2 eggs, am, fresh fruit or even Nutella for spreading, pinch of salt, 1/4 cup butter for pan, 3 tbs sugar, 2 cups flour, 2 cups milk
- Directions: -Beat together eggs, salt, sugar milk, and flour until smooth. Heat a non-stick frying pan and brush with butter.
-Pour a thick layer of batter into the pan – spreading it to cover the base of the pan. The pancakes should be very thin. The thinner the better.
-Fry on both sides until golden brown. Spread with filling of your choice and roll into a tube. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or add whipped cream a cherry and be creative.
3. Garlic Dip
- Ingredients: 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 3 garlic cloves, minced, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1/2 cup shredded cheese (muenster, mozzarella, etc.)
- Directions: -Shred cheese coarsely. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
-Use a garlic press to mince the garlic directly over cheese mixture, Mix well and serve.