Ingredients: Raisins or prunes (dried plums), 5 slices bread, Saffron powder, 2 Tablespoons oil, 4 cups milk, 4 Tablespoons sugar
Directions: – Remove the crusts from the bread with a knife. Cut the bread into four triangular pieces.
– Heat the oil in a frying pan (over medium heat) and fry the bread pieces one at a time on both sides until golden brown.
– In a saucepan, add the milk and sugar and bring to a boil, making a slightly thick sauce.
– Add the saffron to the sauce (optional). Reduce heat to low.
– Soak the bread slices in the milk sauce and garnish with the raisins or prunes (dried plums). Serve immediately
Dhal (Lentil Stew)
Ingredients: 1 teaspoon salt, 1 medium onion, diced, 3 cups water, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 cup dried lentils, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, 1½ teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
Directions: – Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan
– Sauté the onion, garlic, and spices
– Add the water and bring to a boil
– Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes
– Remove the cover and simmer over low heat, stirring frequently, about 20 more minutes (until lentils are mushy and thick).
– Serve with rice
Aaloo Bukhary Ki Chutney (Plum Chutney)
Ingredients: Red chili powder, 1 cup prunes (dried plums), Cayenne pepper, 2 cups water, Pepper, ½ cup sugar, Salt, ½ cup vinegar
Directions: – In a saucepan, add the water, salt, peppers, and chili powder to dried plums.
– Bring to a boil and cook until plums are tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add sugar.
– Stir, and cook until the sugar melts and the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
– Add the vinegar and bring the mixture to a boil, about 2 minutes.
– Serve warm or at room temperature as a condiment with roti (bread), meat, or vegetables.
Simple Desserts To Make and Enjoy
Lassi (Yogurt Drink)
Ingredients: ½ cup water, 3 cups plain yogurt, 1 teaspoon salt or sugar, 3 to 4 ice cubes
Directions: – Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
– Pour into individual glasses
Kheer (Rice Pudding)
Ingredients: ¼ cup raisins, 1 cup rice, uncooked, 1½ cup sugar, ½ gallon milk, ¼ cup almonds or pistachios, crushed
Directions: – Combine the rice and milk in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
– Reduce heat to low and add the sugar and nuts. Stir.
– Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
– Sprinkle with raisins. Serve hot or cold.
Raita (Yogurt and Vegetable Salad)
Ingredients: ½ teaspoon each cumin, salt, and black pepper, 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, minced, 3 to 4 cups mixed vegetables, such as raw spinach and cucumber, cooked potatoes or eggplant, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ cup onion, chopped
Directions: – Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.