Portuguese Food – Portuguese Cuisine
Cinnamon and curry powder is a Portuguese legacy, and so are onions, garlic, cloves, olives, and grapes. Fresh fish, shellfish, pork and other meat will be found on any plate in Portugal. The following dishes are the most common of Portuguese cuisines:
1) Cozido a Portuguesa: stewed vegetables with different meats (usually pork) roasted
2) Breakfast: typically coffee and a bread roll
3) Lunch: “Caldo Verde” is a soup usually made with potato, shredded cabbage, and sausage
Sweet Treats (Desserts)
1) Cinnamon flavored pudding
3) Caramel Custard
3 Simple Recipes
- Portuguese Chicken Soup
Ingredients: 1 chicken breast with skin, 1 onion, 4 sprigs of parsley, ½ tsp lemon zest, 1 sprig fresh mint, 6 cups of chicken stock, 1/3 cup thin egg noodles, 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves, salt, white pepper
1) In a large saucepan, simmer the chicken breast with the onion, parsley, lemon zest, and mint sprig until done (35 minutes)
2) Remove the breast, cool, strip off the meat and cut
3) Strain the broth, return to pot, and bring to a boil. Add pasta and chopped mint, cook until soft.
4) Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and chicken. Serve.
- Portuguese Sweet Bread
Ingredients:1 cup of milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons margarine, 1/3 cup white sugar, ¾ teaspoon salt, 3 cups bread flour, 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
1) Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, ¾ cup sugar, the salt, 3 eggs, butter and 3 cups of flour. Beat until smooth.
2) Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic for 5 minutes. Place in bowl, cover, and let rise for 2 hours.
3) Pound down dough. Shape. Put into oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove, let cool, serve.
- Portuguese Custard Tarts
Ingredients: 1 cup milk, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, ½ vanilla bean, 1 cup white sugar, 6 egg yolks, 1 package frozen puff pastry
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups and line bottom and sides with puff pastry.
2) In a saucepan, combine milk, cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly until thick. Place egg yolks in a bowl, whisk mixture into egg yolks constantly. Remove vanilla bean after cooking for 5 minutes.
3) Fill pastry-lined muffin cups with mixture. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool, serve.