DINOLINGO As a country with a unique and varied history, Poland has many sayings for many occasions and situations. Here are a few of them:
- Pokorne cielę dwie matki ssie: “A humble calf will feed from two mothers.” The English equivalent is “Humility gets you everywhere.”
- O wilku mowa, a wilk tuż tuż: “Speak of the wolf and the wolf is there.” This saying refers to how sometimes when one talks of someone that person might appear right at the end of the conversation.
- Nie wszystko złoto, co się świeci: “Not all that glitters is gold.”
- Najlepsze mienie – czyste sumienie: “The best asset: a clear conscience.”
- Gdy pies je, to nie szczeka, bo mu miska ucieka: “When the dog eats, he doesn’t bark because then his food will run away.” Basically, don’t talk with your mouth full!
Online Polish lessons for kids: dinolingo.com